Sunday, April 02, 2006

Petroglyph Bowl


Click on photo to enlarge

The bowl was made about 5 years ago and combines a gourd with pine-needle basketry.

There's a remote early-man site in the Mojave Desert about 35 miles from here with ancient petroglyphs adorning the rock walls of a short narrow canyon. We spent a lot of time there when the kids were younger and I took close-up photos of most of the symbols.

I copied the petroglyph designs as closely as possible onto the gourd with a large red indelible marker and then colored the rest of the gourd blue, also with indelible marker. Then I hand-rubbed the bowl to wear away some of the indelible ink which gave the bowl a sort of weathered batik-like patina. After the pine-needles were stitched on, the entire bowl was finished with a coat of beeswax.

For the baskets & bowls I usually stay with earthy tones, but I had some turquoise colored hemp twine and wanted to experiment with color. I like the way it came out and I may make a couple more Petroglyph Bowls in different colors, but the above photo doesn't really do this one justice (see the photo I added below).

The Petroglyph Bowl was given to our friend Bob Varga in appreciation for the 30,000 pound boulder birdbath he brought us.

And with this more current work I think I'll bring my little art retrospective to a close, I want to go out and play. But it's been fun going through this old stuff and sharing it with you.

If I ever get a slide scanner for the computer you guys are in real trouble, I've got about 2,000 old slides from my photography days packed away in closets.

Have a good Sunday everybody...

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I didn't buy a scanner when I first got the computer (the package deal just included the printer) but by the next month I rectified that. I have lots of old family pictures plus many of the girls when they were younger.

Saving pennies for all in one at some point. Sometimes the two pieces of hardware get in a snit and Lexmark won't speak to Hewlett-Packard.

Little by little I'm getting the best photos over here and eventually to disk.

Love that bowl.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi granny-

I have a flatbed scanner too and have gone through and repaired many old family photos saving them to disk. What I don't have is a slide scanner which would make it possible for me to clean up and repair all my ancient color slides, but to do it right I'd need one of the professional models that go for about $1,000, and that's just not in the budget right now.

11:50 AM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

what a great bowl, the picture is either of a tree(showing its roots and branches) or some multi-legged alien visitor, I'm voting for the aliens!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

The two gourd photos are beautiful. It's fun working with gourds.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.