Sunday, April 02, 2006

Bird On A Swing - 1974


'Bird On A Swing' by jim otterstrom
Click on drawing to enlarge

This drawing was done with ball point pens (a company called Lindy used to make them in gobs of colors) on regular 8 1/2 X 11 typing paper (as you might guess by the yellowing).

I drew the picture while lying in bed with the flu back in 1974 during my early days at the Post Office. It was completed in that one day (between trips to the bathroom) using a large book as sort of an easel while I propped myself up with pillows. I guess it was my own odd way of distracting myself from how crappy I felt.

I made quite a few drawings when I was younger giving most of the pictures away, but for some reason I kept this one.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

Jim, I'm stunned by your art. This bird one particularly appeals to me (selling prints?), but the others are very powerful too. You should set yourself up a show at a local gallergy.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Um, that should be "gallery". You can tell that allergies are getting top billing with me these days!

7:56 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

What a beautiful drawing, Jim. There's so much playfulness in it, and so rich in details. I'm so glad you held on to this one and thought to share it with us.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Mum & RD, I rather like that old drawing too, and Mum, if I ever get some nice prints made of it I'll send you one.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow Jim, I am amazed at your artistic ability. Ball point pen? While sick with the flu? Who woulda thunk it!!!

I guess I compromised the visual arts part of my brain in order to develop the musical one.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Deb-

I sure wish I had a bit more of that musical talent!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I really am fascinated by the style of the work. You could put a series together for cards or small prints to hang on a wall.

9:13 AM  
Blogger wen said...

I love it! Thanks for posting it.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought about getting the flu again, you know, as a sort of muse?

11:14 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

It seems you're a man of many talents. It won't yellow any more now that you have it on disc.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.