Saturday, April 01, 2006

Sleep/Dream - Mirrored Realities


'Mirrored Realities' - © 2006 jim otterstrom
Click on photo to enlarge

I may be slightly biased, but I think one of the loveliest images I've ever made is this one, from a photo of Peggy sleeping.


The picture was taken about 15 years ago and I made the computer image from it maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

I wanted to frame this and hang it on the living room wall back then but Peggy was too self-conscious to allow it.

Well she's a bit older now, loves the picture too, and is more comfortable with sharing it, so she said I could post it here today.

As I've said before, I don't find nudity offensive, I wish we were all still 'Naked In
The Garden', and there's nothing posted here that I can imagine as the slightest bit offensive, but if these images do offend anyone I apologize, because we're each entitled to our own take on morality.

And pardon me if I say so, but I believe it's a sweet thing for a woman to have photos of her naked young self, and to remember her beauty when she was a flower in bloom. And I'll just bet that it's also nice to know someone appreciated that beauty enough to record it.


As today is April Fool's day, I'd like to thank you all for tolerating this old fool's self-indulgence into previous artistic endeavors from a much enjoyed, if miss-spent youth.

By the way, this is the first time this image has ever been viewed by anyone other than Peggy and I.

Life is short and unpredictable, enjoy yourselves!

Peace and Love...

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger CG said...

Jim, I love these images. Wish there were some of me with a young body! Although, I wouldn't mind nice artistic images of older bodies too -- you know, that is one thing I think is just sick, that no one (in the media) actually LOOKS 45 -- or 30 for that matter. Having real, and beautiful, images out there would be wonderful!

But the truth also it, I don't find that all bodies are beautiful necessarily.

The truth also is, I'm usually not much for arteeeestic sorts of endeavors, you know, the ones with more ego than vision? But I don't find that in your artwork. Thanks very much for sharing.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

CG-

I agree, and I'd love to photograph some older folks, male and female, but it seems that older people don't often see the beauty in themselves and are somewhat more inhibited. I see great beauty and character in old faces and bodies, so maybe it will happen someday.

And I'm glad you didn't find these images overly ego-centric, even if they are mostly the passions of a much younger man trying to find some balance between the sublime and the sickening in a very complicated world.

I completely understand what you mean about "arteestic sorts", and in more recent years I've attempted to direct my artistic bent toward more useful creations like the pine-needle baskets.

In being human though, I find there is always a certain amount of vanity and ego in play, but at this ripening age I would hope to be reigning in some of that anyway.

I'm really happy that you like the images, I always value your opinion highly.

6:03 PM  
Blogger James said...

I just randomly found me way here. You do nice work!

9:13 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

did I pick a good day to drop by, or what? yes it is and she is beautiful. the joy you to exude is lovely to behold. i am working on doing something beside snow shoveling for a change.
Jim I am old and can lend my crinkly face to your camera- if you think the lens can handle it

9:23 PM  
Blogger T. Beth said...

What a very beautiful photo of a very beautiful woman! Thank you for sharing it with us. :-)

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dpr

thank you for your compliment and sensitivity, you have helped me to feel more at ease in being so publicly revealed. i always loved jim's photograph but wasn't comfortable with the fact that it was me in the picture. maybe at 54 i'm finally beginning to appreciate myself.

rebecca

thank you and mike both, i hope you have a long and loving relationship.

10:48 PM  
Blogger tansy said...

i think your photos/artwork are lovely and not offensive at all. now, if i posted the picture of the yoni root i dug up yesterday, some people might take offense to that, but i don't see how they could to these gorgeous photos.

but then, it's a strange, strange world, isn't it?

6:51 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks everyone for your nice comments about this picture, we were both a little apprehensive about posting this one but the beauty of the image begged to be shared. And DPR, you actually got Peggy to post her very first words ever on the blog in response to your comment. I think it was the "stunning beauty" part that did it. ;~)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

this is a beautiful image, jim (and peggy). our human bodies are exquisite and that is why artists have been rendering them for as long as we've had artists! I wish I still had some of my nudes from my youth -- I can now appreciate that my body was a gorgeous landscape full of youth and vigor. at 48, I can finally see it of course. i agree with dpr, this is a universal female image. Just lovely...

12:08 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Lovely. All your work is great, but I particularly love your comments about capturing and appreciating your wife's young beauty. What a lovely thought.

4:11 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

kyrie 5 shoes
air force 1
cheap jordans
jordan 6
nike air max
christian louboutin shoes
nike air max 2017
louboutin shoes
michael kors factory outlet online
coach outlet

9:38 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

yeezy boost 350 v2
pandora outlet
off white shoes
pandora
curry shoes
pandora charms
golden goose sale
cheap jordans
air jordans
balenciaga shoes

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.