Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Aspiring Model


'The Aspiring Model' graphic by jim otterstrom-photo credit unknown
Click on image to enlarge

When Peggy and I met in the late 70s she was an aspiring model and I was an aspiring photographer. Our first date was dinner at the old Chart House in Malibu where we each brought our portfolios and exchanged ideas. The image above is made from a photo taken by a student in a photography class Peggy modeled for around 1972, and I created this digital graphic from a closely cropped section of it maybe 6 years ago. We don't have the photographers name or I'd post it here. Peggy was about 20 and working at the Van Nuys Post Office.

That was a long time ago in an alternate reality of, comparatively speaking, very innocent and optimistic times. I thought we could change the world with images, with music, and with love. I could've been the flowerchild posterboy (and actually was a couple of times).

I no longer believe in trying to change the world because, in reality, I can only change myself. If each individual works on their own responsibilities the world will change, so I'm working on improving me, and that's plenty enough work to keep me busy.

But, even after all these years, I still enjoy capturing images of the things I love and sharing them with the world.

Peggy and I have gone through a paradigm shift during our lives together and Earth Home Garden is an ideal we strive toward, as we set our goals, enjoy our successes, and hopefully, learn from our mistakes.

Today the most profound beauty I see is in the sprouting of a seed, the hatching of an egg, the pattern in a leaf, or the design of a feather, but I must also say that beautiful women still cause my heart to pound, it's just the nature of the beast in me.

But only one takes her clothes off for me these days, and I'm sure not complaining.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

She is beautiful.

7:52 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I thought we could change the world with images, with music, and with love. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I still do.

Peggy is beautiful. Those eyes! Wow.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Granny-

Yes she is, to this day...

RD-

I'm also a little embarrassed to admit that I too still believe images music and love are our best means of communication, but we can't force beauty upon those who won't see it.

All we can do is try and draw others under love's influence by sharing with them. It's up to each individual to learn and to change.

Many people have inspired me and continue to do so, but any change in me has come through my assimilating and incorporating what I learn into my life.

I find I'm most resistant to change when someone tells me 'I must' rather than allowing me the freedom to discover my own way.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.