Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Garden Path In Spring...


Click on photo to enlarge

Yes, it is Spring!

This is what spring looks like at 6,750 feet above sea level, even in California.

And there is a path, and a garden, somewhere under that blanket of white.

I know this because I see the outline of the garden bench at the turn in the path, and the lacy limbs of the bare-naked Quaking Aspen just behind it.

To the left of the aspen is the Giant Sequoia I planted twenty-some years ago, a similar-aged Colorado Blue Spruce in the left foreground, and the much younger White Fir between them.

I also know that beneath all this rests lovely native Mariposa Lilies, Scarlet Penstemon, Indian Paintbrush, Rose Sage, Humboldt Lilies, Crimson Columbine, California Fuschia, Wild Blue Iris, Antelope Bush, Western Wallflower, Bumble-Bee Penstemon, Desert Blue Bells, Snowberry, Grape-Soda Lupine, Wright's Buckwheat, Hedgehog Cactus, Wild Onion, Green-Leaf Manzanita, Prickly Poppy, Prickly Pear Cactus, Sulfur-Colored Buckwheat, Coyote Mint, Firecracker Penstemon, Blue Flax, Mountain Phacelia, Evening Primrose, California Poppies and so many other old friends.

They're cozy now in their frozen beds, it's where they belong, how they came to be what they are, and when the snow melts they'll come out to dazzle us, and our little part of heaven, with an astounding display of fecundity.

There will be thousands of shameless plants exposing their gorgeously colorful flowering sexuality to the world, inviting bees to wallow drunkenly in their pollen, as butterflies and hummingbirds drink of their sweet nectar, and all share in fertilizing the seeds of the future within the prolific womb of mother nature.

Birds of dizzying variety and plumage will soon frolic here too, repeating once again their own rituals and celebrations, in seeking sustenance for their lives, in finding shelter, and hopefully, a safe haven in which to rear their offspring.

That all this can happen on one tiny patch of earth is evidence enough of the miracle that is life, and proof-positive for me, as to the contemptable tragedy of even a single parking lot of equal size.

What has been squandered by humans, rendered barren and lifeless, is immeasurable. What remains is precious, sensual and sacred, every last piece of it.

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

You asked for it, you got it.

A comment.

I always read below the photos and I love this one. I hope our spring flowers haven't been drowned, poor things.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Granny-

Thanks for humoring me in my snowbound musings today.

How much rain have you had up there?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Did you get my reply? I could have sworn it posted okay.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

When I look at this picture, I begin to twitch. I'm thinking thoughts of intense sunshine in your direction, Jim.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Anyhow, lots of rain. We've been flooded with people in shelters from a canal breaking its levee and a creek overflowing.

7:25 PM  
Blogger arcolaura said...

Fascinating mixture of familiar and unfamiliar plant names.

I saw some crocus buds yesterday.

12:06 AM  
Blogger tansy said...

and here, i'm planting my strawberries, spring veggies and all sorts of herbs!

it looks lovely but you can keep it! i'll take the warmth and sunshine that our spring brings us! :D

6:48 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

This planet is a large and beautiful place, requiring patience and adjustment from us all at time to time. Your photo helps me think we can turn around this global warming thing in 20 years or so!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Wow! I like the photos. We've finally gotten some snow and rain but very, very little. After six months with no precipitation I'd like to get your snow.

I agree with your last two paragraphs.

10:23 AM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

you can see your garden in your 'minds eye', a marvellous place

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, the anticipation of flowers and birds to come... delightful description and I'm looking forward to your new arrivals- sacred is a good word to describe certain things/places :)
As always, enjoyed my visit.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Beautifully said and I love that picture.

In my part of the country people are moving to the forests and then bringing their bulldozies and clearing every single tree...putting up their fancy homes and planting seedlings around the house. I wish they would just stay in the cities...Or work around the mature trees.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.