Sunday, March 26, 2006

Good Morning!


Click on photo to enlarge

The first Sunday of Spring found us working around substantial mounds of remnant snow to do some spring yard clean-up. The chicken yard fence needed to be heightened because Corrina and a couple of other Black Australorp hens have been flying over it and wreaking havoc in the native plant garden.

And this reminds me that, once again, I must rave about the egg-laying talents of these birds. The chicks we bought last year started laying in September and produced a steady reliable supply of eggs right through the shortest coldest days of winter.

Despite the recent and much appreciated snow our spring fever is growing stronger by the day. Warm daytime temps are melting the snow rapidly, and events like the return of our Violet Green Swallows from somewhere in Central America on this past Thursday, the third day of Spring, have me outside most of the day, so I just haven't been in much of a 'sit at the computer and blog' mood.

Which reminds me that I'm itching to get back outside and play in the dirt!

Later...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

If I wasn't awake before, I certainly am now.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow...my chickens won't let me get that close!

It's a spring fever kind of day around here too. I was playing some wonderful stuff on my mandolin earlier, but I just couldn't stay inside. I even got busy breaking up ice chunks and tossing them off the floor of the new house, trying to hasten the melting and drying process so we can get building again! I brought the puppy outside for a long romp in the backyard, and now she's sleeping in the sun. Life is good.

11:23 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Our first hummingbirds showed up on Friday. These migrators make amazing journeys. How wonderful it is that they remind us of the cycles of seasons. Enjoy the lengthening days, Jim

11:58 AM  
Blogger Loner said...

we got three rescued hens earlier this year, prompting me to get pullets at the farm store - who have not been too healthy. We just switched them to medicated feed as a supplement, and they seem to be doing better. I love the Astrolorpes, we have New Hampshire reds - and nothing beats fresh eggs.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.