Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Tool-Shed/Workshop/Studio/Beer-Garden Nearing Completion

Front Entrance & West Facing Beer Garden Patio
Click on photo to enlarge - © 2009 jim otterstrom
All summer long we've been enjoying our meals out here on this cozy little patio decorated with the recycled artifacts of the lost (Mid-Twentieth Century) civilization I grew up in.

South Facing Wall With Big WindowClick on photo to enlarge - © 2009 jim otterstrom

I just finished siding the north and south walls of the shed, the day before yesterday, then painted the recycled window olive drab.

The siding on these walls all comes from four 10 foot long sections of weathered picket fence we salvaged from a neighbor several years ago when he replaced it with chain link. I still have three more 10 foot sections for some future project.

This beautiful wood was either going to be kindling for a fireplace or would've ended up at the county landfill.

The big window came from an old lodge up here that was being remodeled some decades ago and fitted with new windows. I got several of them free of charge, just for hauling 'em away, and they've been used here over the years as tomato hot-houses and even a temporary home for baby chicks once. I have at least two more of these I'm saving for a garden potting-shed.



North Facing WallClick on photo to enlarge - © 2009 jim otterstrom

On this wall I staggered the old fence pickets randomly, using as many of the original nail holes as possible and then drilling new holes where they were needed.

The very old marble-reflector porcelain-on-steel DETOUR sign was given to me by a friend & neighbor some years ago.


Workbench Click on photo to enlarge - © 2009 jim otterstrom

As you might guess, I spend a lot of time out here now tinkering around with my various hobbies & crafts. Again, most everything here was built from scrap, salvaged wood, or recycled junk. The 'carvings' at each side of the window are from an old piece of junk furniture we dismantled (I have 3 more of them too).

The workbench and ceiling are from salvaged wood, and the wall around the window is covered with empty seed packets used in our vegetable garden, which I adhered to the wall then tinted with amber shellac. The trim by the ceiling is recycled wiggle-board.

The small stained-glass windows hanging there were the first two windows I made, for a stained-glass class I took way back in the early 1970s. The tulip design was made from a very simple beginner's pattern.


Beer Wall Click on photo to enlarge - © 2009 jim otterstrom

As some of you may be aware, we have several friends who get together now and then to enjoy the many delicious craft beers being brewed these days, so, just for fun, I decorated the back wall of the shed with nearly 100 different beer carton graphics, giving them the same amber shellacked finish as the seed packets.

These are the actual cardboard six-pack (or four-pack) cartons which I cut out and pieced together one by one. They were mostly donated to me by my beer drinking buddies, Bill and Denny (thanks guys), but I've had just about every one of these beers over the years. Ohhhh, and so many more!

They make an appropriate addition to the workshop considering that the adjoining patio is the beer garden which will be served by the tap in the front wall, starting on September 27th, when we will be christening the joint with keg of good beer and a shrimp-kabob barbecue.

Jim In His Workshop/Studio This MorningClick on photo to enlarge - © 2009 peggy otterstrom

Peggy took this shot of me in the studio about 8:45 this morning, a quite common sight around here now.

I have a just little more work to do inside, finishing up trim on the interior west wall.

Click here, here, & here, to see older posts of the beginning and evolution of the project...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger David Edward said...

wow, that is great. Thanks for the tour

11:35 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

i am really impressed by your creativity and re-use of materials. You should go on one of those design shows or garden shows on TV!

2:12 PM  
Blogger W A Britten said...

Hi Jim -

I got onto your blog somehow ... can't remember where ... anyway, have been enjoying your posts for a few weeks. The workshop looks like a real nice personal space.

I'm a sort-of retired guy making a "living" from my camera in Gatlinburg, TN on the edge of the Smoky Mountains.

Bill Britten
williambritten.com

8:09 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Jim- that is incredible! Of course, I love the beer wall. :-)

7:26 AM  
Blogger Linda Navroth said...

You are a true craftsman, Jim! Your workshop and beer garden are really nice. I especially loved the varnished and polished gleam coming off that workbench!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous kiwi said...

What a fabulous job you have done Jim! My hubby says the workbench looks like what we (in NZ) call "Douglas Fir", but he thinks you might call it Oregon? Is he right?

12:51 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

your studio is spectacular! one of a kind! 100% Jim! I love these photos of it -- quite a sense of place.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Storage Sheds said...

I follow your blog for a long time and must tell you that your posts always prove to be of a high value and quality for readers. Keep it up.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is an awesome space for you and the guys! I wish I had something like that. However, I did have the idea of making a beer wall. What did you use to stick the labels on the wall? I could use some pointers.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.