Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Morning...

7:20 A.M. - Stanfield Marsh
Click on photo to enlarge - © 2009 jim otterstrom

Fog and clouds hung gracefully over the valley this morning as Peggy, Dallas, and I, made our way along the footbridge by Stanfield Marsh.

A few light sprinkles fell during our wanderings but not enough to soak through our layers of clothing.

We enjoyed intermittent drizzles throughout the day yesterday which continued overnight and seem to be moving on out this morning.

Our walk left me relaxed and appreciative of the warm fire that welcomed us home as I checked in on a couple of blog friends, Madcap, and Deb, who have both responded to the below meme of 37 questions.

I've decided to join them...

37 Random Things About Me

1. Do you like blue cheese? Yes, in fact I love it when the cheese in the fridge gets old and starts turning blue. First dibs on the mold!

2. Have you ever smoked? Yes, for 22 years, from ages 11 to 33, I picked it up from my mom. I've been a non-smoker for the past 30 years.

3. Do you own a gun? Yes, a 30/30 rifle.

4. What flavor Kool Aid is your favorite? I haven't tasted Kool-Aid in decades, but, when I was a kid I liked the lime flavored junk.

5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? I try not to visit doctors, I wish to die a natural death, nowhere near a hospital.

6. What do you think of hot dogs? I think they're absolutely disgusting, but, when I do eat one, it has mustard, onions, and sometimes, chili con carne.

7. Favorite Christmas movie? 'Miracle Down Under' with Dee Wallace and John Waters (1987).

8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Coffee.

9. Can you do push-ups? A few.

10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? A cast brass sun-pendant my stepfather made for me. It's the only piece of jewelry I own, aside from my wedding ring.

11. Favorite hobby? Whichever one, of dozens, I'm currently involved with.

12. Do you have A.D.D? If you mean Anti-establishment Dissidence Disorder, then most definitely!

13. Do you wear glasses/contacts? Two or three pair!

14. Middle name? Steven.

15. Name thoughts at this moment? Is it beer-thirty yet?

16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? Coffee, beer, and tequila.

17. Current worry? Oh nothing major, except maybe the collapse of Western Civilization, and how that might affect my kids.

18. Current hate right now? Elitism, classism, and self-righteous judgement.

19. Favorite place to be? Home, in the garden.

20. How did you bring in the New Year? Celebrating with my wife and son until 12:01, when I promptly passed out.

21. Where would you like to go? Home, where I grew up, but it's not there anymore.

22. Name three people who will complete this? Madcap, Deb, and Jim (I consulted my crystal ball).

23. Do you own slippers? Yes, but I can never find them.

24 What color shirt are you wearing? A black long-sleeved t-shirt.

25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? Nope, too slippery, always sliding off the bed. Good old high-thread-count cotton for me.

26. Can you whistle? Yes, but nothing to brag about. I can't carry a tune.

27. Favorite Color? Blue & Green, equally.

28. What songs do you sing in the shower? Old hillbilly songs. Clementine, She'll Be Comin' 'Round The Mountain, On Top Of Old Smokey, etc.

29. Would you be a pirate? Only in the sense that RobinHood was a pirate, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. I've got no taste for rape, pillage, and plunder, our species has done more than enough of that crap!

30. Favorite Girl's Name? The one attached to my favorite girl, Peggy Sue, who, by the way, was named several years before the famous Buddy Holly song was written.

31. Favorite boy's name? Jim, handed down through generations of my family, to my father, to me, and to my son. Even my 100% Cherokee, great, great, great, grandfather was named James, James Drury (It was common practice for Native Americans of that time to adopt the names of European settlers and Drury is a French surname). James Drury was born of the Keetoowah Cherokee in Tennessee, in 1798, and died in Bradley County, Arkansas, in 1859, when the well he was digging caved in on him. His daughter, Nancy Jane Drury, also 100% Cherokee, was the mother of my tobacco-chewing great-grandma Garrison, whom I remember very well.

32. What's in your pocket right now? Reach in there and find out! ;~)

33. Last thing that made you laugh? My answer to question #32.

34. What vehicle do you drive? A 15 year-old DiamondBack Topanga Mountain Bike (as in bicycle).

35. Worst injury you've ever had? A shattered right leg from a 1978 motorcycle accident which required bone grafts and 14 months to heal.

36. Do you love where you live? I love the nature of the place, but I'm saddened by the ongoing overdevelopment and destruction of it.

37. How many TVs do you have in your house? None!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

That's a beautiful photograph. I like reading other people's memes. I appreciate the energy and the effort.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey Jim, thanks for taking the meme and running with it!

Of course I would expect oddball answers from you. :) And that's a compliment.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Interesting meme. Photo reminds me of a fishing trip I took years ago to Eagle Lake in Canada.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a gifted photographer. I've enjoyed every one of your shots. There is something mystical, very appealing to humans, about mist over the water. I remember camping on a point of land stretching out into a small lake. To left and to right the slowly moving, early-morning mist transported me into a different world. It was magical.

Glad you enjoyed your walk.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I've missed you guys. I've been out of the blog loop for awhile. Extraordinarily lovely photo, Jim. I also enjoyed your meme. - KinKY, who plans to catch up on reading Jim's blog while imbibing copious amounts of caffeine.

9:15 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

i know that is a lot of work, Jim thanks for the 37 things and for the great photo.

Rain rain, make the flowers bloom, soon, please!

9:20 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

if you ever wish to borrow a really stable two person Kayak, use mine
it is so much fun and good exercise.
I will transport it to and from launch as well.
( wed I was out there for 2 hours!)
be well, love to peggy and dallas.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Thanks for joining in - always entertaining to see what you'll say!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

robin-

The photo was the result good of timing. Just a few minutes later the fog thickened, completely blocking the blue sky.

The meme was fun, silly questions about Kool-Aid, Hot Dogs, & pockets!!!


Deb-

Were my responses odd? ;~)


Tabor-

This would have been a great morning to be out fishing. At least where the water is deep enough not to be frozen over.
You've reminded me that I need to do some fishing soon.

DennisP-

Thanks, I'm glad you like the photos. My secret is that I take thousands of them over the course of a year. That way I'm bound to get a few good ones. Cameras these days do most of the work but it does help to have an eye for composition (whatever that is) I suppose.

Anonymous KinKY-

So nice to see you here, I've missed you too Kathy. But it's easy to fall out of the "blog loop", I've been known to go well over a month without a post myself, which makes it hard to hold on to friends, but sometimes I'm just not into it. I hope you enjoy your caffeine fueled catch-up. I'll be interested to see if there's any other posts you feel motivated to comment on. How's everything in Kentucky? It's been cold I hear...

David-

This meme was quick & fun, and yes I'm looking forward to spring too, but first we need more winter. Right now we're only at 11.63 inches of precipitation for the season, way below average. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. This is the mountains, they need it.

And thanks for the kind offer of your kayak, we may take you up on that sometime. In the warmer months I often kayak out of Captain John's Fawnskin Marina. John gives me deals I can't resist.

And, by the way, I made a mental note of what you said previously about your having a supply of old doors & windows.

Madcap-

Yes, there's no telling what I'll say sometimes, and, as Deb noted, it seems that I'm expected to be the oddball.

Funny though, I don't seem that odd to me...

7:20 AM  
Blogger Lené Gary said...

Hey Jim,
I love that photograph of the fog over the frozen water. It's nice to see your work reflecting the world. It reminds me I've been gone too long. Thanks for keeping it up. :)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Lené

Yes, you have been gone too long...
...I miss you!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.