Friday, October 31, 2008

All Hallows Eve...

...and the Day Of The Dead
Click on engraving to enlarge
~A HALLOWEEN GREETING~
This image was e-mailed to us last Halloween by my old friend Alver in Santa Barbara.
I can't imagine a more Jim & Peg personalized 'Day Of The Dead' greeting so I thought I'd share it on the blog this year.
Sure enough, there we are on our bicycles!
Peggy is even wearing her trademark flashing headlamp, as my beard blows typically in the breeze, and I feign (or maybe long for) transendence with those gawd-awfully awkward angel wings. Or, maybe I'm just trying on Edward Abbey's vulture wings. "Where There's Life, There's Hope".
This looks to be a section of a larger work and I'd love know who the artist is so I can give him/her credit and maybe find a print of the piece.
Alver didn't know the origin of the image either, but he thought it was probably by a well-known Mexican artist. I haven't been able to find anything about the image online, so if any of you folks out there know who the artist is, please let us know.
Addendum
Thanks to Catherder and Mary Anne we now know this is from an engraving by Jose Guadalupe Posada (1852-1913). An unknown person has added the orange coloring to lend the work a halloween feel.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger CatHerder said...

Could it be Posada? ..ps, just LOVE your blog

10:17 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I do not think you folks will ever look like that!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim & Peggy,

It is Posada; I found a link that shows it:

http://ashleysherry.tripod.com/halloween/bikes.html

How are you??? Andi, Mikele, and I keep talking about taking another road trip to Big Bear, but so far it's just talk...

Hugs to you both!

7:59 AM  
Blogger roger said...

the image brought you two to mind before i read the text.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

catherder-

Yes. it is Posada!

From the engraving 'The Calaveras Of The Newscarriers'.

And below, Mary Anne has included a URL where you can see this and other engravings by Jose Guadalupe Posada (1852-1913).

Thank you for giving us the name and I'm so glad you like our blog.

Jim

5:50 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Tabor-

Thanks, but don't look too close!!!

Roger recognized us right away...

;~)

5:56 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Mary Anne-

I'm so glad you checked in, we haven't heard from you in so long!

I've been meaning to send you a long e-mail every since we received that beautiful contra CD of yours, but I lost your email address in one of my computer meltdowns last year and I'm not sure we have your phone number either.

The last time we talked you were mucking down some creek to check on a flycatcher territory, so I must've had your cell number at one point.

Bill and I both love your CD by the way and mine is in my i-tunes library where your music rotates through all the time, bringing you to mind. Are you still with that group, and does the band have a name?

Just hearing the names Mary Anne, Andi, and Mikele make me feel all warm and feathery, and you guys know the Otterstrom Hostel always has vacancies for wandering nature lovers. Big Bear will always have open arms for your clan, so keep on talking...

We are all good here, and hoping for a winter deep in snow, but that doesn't happen so often these days. We had a pretty good rain Saturday night but it was warm, almost tropical feeling, in November, in Big Bear!!! Still, the water was refreshing!

And thanks for taking the time to find the URL to the Posada stuff, I really like that 'Newscarriers' engraving, and his other work as well.

I never thought about it before, but the Grateful Dead obviously borrowed heavily from Mexican art that celebrated the observance of 'Dia De Los Muertos' for many of their great album covers.

I hope you and Scott are having good adventures and lots of fun, and I hope you have a sweet dog in your life too!

Dallas and I have pretty much evolved into a single six-legged being. Where you find one of us you will find the other. But that's fine with me. He's one of the most loving gentle dogs I've ever known.

Until the talk becomes the walk we return warm hugs to all of you too!

Love & Peace

Jim & Peggy

7:00 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hey Roger-

I knew you'd recognize us!

How're you and Robin doing?

I guess I'd better check in on you!

Peace Brother

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.