Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Blue-Eyed Darner

Rhionaeschna multicolor



Click on photos to enlarge - © 2008 jim otterstrom

During my morning walks along the marsh I've recently been enjoying the Blue-Eyed Darner Dragonflies hanging around the Tule Reeds near the boardwalk.
This morning I brought along the tele-converter lens for my camera and got a few decent shots of one.
These are probably as good as I'm going to get from distances of about 8 to 20 feet with my little 8 mega-pixel digital camera
Canon S5IS with Canon TC-DC58B tele-converter lens, manual mode, f /3.5, ISO 80, 1/800th second.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

These are better than I have been able to capture.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow..... it's so small. I might have seen it in my garden.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Great photos, Jim!

We've got masses of dragonflies here too, and I think they must be the reason we have relatively few mosquitoes despite being next to wetlands.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, wonderful in-flight shots Jim! blue darners are fun to watch and I like how they will nab the biting deerflies that usually hover around me in swarms..
I'm thinking of a similar camera for myself soon- something lightweight with IS- they get the job done as your images show well..

happy end of the Fruit Moon :)

10:17 AM  
Blogger Thistledog said...

holy cow those are great shots. nice work!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.