Thursday, August 07, 2008

Yesterday's Garden Pictures...

Calypte anna with Salvia pachyphylla
Click on photo to enlarge - © 2008 jim otterstrom

Click on photo to enlarge - © 2008 jim otterstrom

Click on photo to enlarge - © 2008 jim otterstrom

Currently a daily visitor to the garden, this female Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) was feeding at Rose Sage (Salvia pachyphylla) near our porch yesterday afternoon as I took these few pictures of her just after 4 P.M.

In order to capture some detail in the fast moving hummer (on a cloudy day) I used a relatively fast shutter speed of 1/500th of a second which created images that were between 1 and 2 stops underexposed. I then lightened the images in Photoshop to closely approximate their natural appearance.

Canon S5IS with Canon TC-DC58B tele-converter lens, manual mode, f /3.5, ISO 80, 1/500th second.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

Outstanding photography as always!!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are such beautiful photos. I get so excited whenever I see a hummingbird at our house. We have one species here with a sparkly ruby-red throat that is really a spectacular sight to see.

3:18 PM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

such beauty. I have never seen a hummingbird in 'real life'. we do get dragonflys though I've never caught one on camera.

3:03 AM  
Blogger CG said...

hey Jim, I have a tiny challenge for you over on my blog . . . 100 species. You won't even break a sweat with it but I thought it might be fun. Love to you all.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.