Monday, August 25, 2008

Botanical Scans From The Garden...

Please Click On The Following 'Botanical
Prints' To Enlarge For Viewing












© 2008 jim otterstrom


I was looking at some old botanical prints this morning and decided it would be fun to try and re-create something similar by scanning native plants into the computer.

So I picked a few fading flowers from the late summer garden and scanned them with our HP Photosmart C7180 All-In-One printer.

Even though we had some pretty substantial thunderstorms here today, I managed to keep the computer up & running long enough, between lightning strikes, to make some rather nice looking botanical art out of them.

Scanning flowers can give very nice results but it's a bit of a messy process.

As careful as you might try to be, it's inevitable that pollen, bugs, and plant detritus will get all over the scanner screen, becoming part of the image, so considerable time is required in cleaning up the pictures in Photoshop, or some similar program.

Scanning gives three dimensional objects an almost painted quality, the subdued lighting and shadowy details creating life-like impressions.

I spent most of the rainy day working on the pictures, time well spent if you ask me. They are rather large images so you'll need to scroll down to view them in their entirety.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Linda Navroth said...

What a SUPER idea! These are really neat. I have some old botanical prints and yours stand right up to them! Nice job--and so creative!
Cheers,
Linda

12:54 PM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

fabulous way to spend a rainy day, they're lovely!

3:09 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Linda & Claire-

Thanks!

I'm trying to come up with 12 of these "botanical" designs for a 2009 calendar. I have eight usable scans at this point, but flowers are waning now so I'm not sure I'll come up with enough good images.

I realize it's more than a bit late in the year to be starting this project but this summer has been a blur of visitors, projects, and distractions.

Bob Dylan has a song about that, 'No Time To Think'.

And thanks too, for hanging in here with me.

Jim

3:58 PM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

absolutely beautiful. worth all the effort - what a great idea!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Everytime you do scans I tell myself that I must make the effort and try this. The trouble is that the scanner is down at my husbands desk in the basement. I guess I could scan to a thumb drive....

4:43 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Just beautiful, Jim.
Another calendar in the making, perhaps?

7:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160520
retro jordans 13
jordan 3 powder blue
designer handbags
nike trainers sale
hollister clearance
nike store outlet
coach outlet
cheap jordans
christian louboutin sale
michael kors outlet
kobe 8
michael kors bags
oakley outlet
michael kors handbags
oakley outlet
louis vuitton handbags
retro 11
michael kors outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
kd 7 shoes
ray bans
tiffany and co
nfl jerseys
michael kors outlet
jordan retro 8
coach factory outlet online
toms wedges
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors
copy watches
louis vuitton bags
coach outlet store online clearances
cheap ray ban sunglasses
fitflop clearance
michael kors outlet
north face jackets
cheap oakleys
burberry outlet online
michael kors purses

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.