Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day Harvest

MOTHER EARTH'S BOUNTY
Click on photo to enlarge - © 2007 jim otterstrom

Peggy, the loving Mother of my kids, holds a basket full of gifts from Mother Earth, freshly harvested from the garden and the chicken coop. Today's bounty was lots of spinach, chard, kale, rhubarb, several types of lettuce, and, of course, eggs. We had superb "melt in your mouth" steamed spinach with hard-boiled eggs for lunch, followed by Peggy's home-made Rhubarb Cobbler.

We shared about half of today's harvest with our friends Bill and Kathy yet still had plenty for today's lunch, tonight's salad, and greens for tomorrow's meals too.

And, we've called our Mothers, and our kids have called Peggy.

Most of our day was spent working in the garden but I've also been assembling photos I took at our niece Sara's wedding to send off to the family.

We attended Sara and Luca's simply beautiful wedding and reception in Santa Barbara over Earth Day week-end. But that's a whole nuther post which I hope to get to soon.

I'm way, way behind...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

And wouldn't it be a better world if we thought of very day is Mother's Day and Earth Day?

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

What a beautiful harvest -- and a beautiful way to celebrate Mother's Day.

What do you like to cook with your kale? I have some growing in my garden for the first time, but I don't have many recipes for it. I would love some ideas. Your blog is lovely.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Christa-

I've posted a delicious Kale & White Bean Soup recipe for you today, one of our favorite soups!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A gorgeous photo of your harvest. And a lovely Mother's Day post. I am happy to have stumbled in.

Blessings

Mama Kelly

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Mother's Day photo. It was a beautiful composition and it looks yummy too. Kathy in Ky

6:37 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Mama Kelly & KinKy ;~)

Thank you both and the food was delish...

I'm off to pick more spinach for breakfast.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.