Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Afternoon Delight...

Selasphorus rufus
Click on photo to enlarge - © 2007 jim otterstrom

A male Rufous Hummingbird rests near one of our hummingbird feeders on a short break from his turf war with an Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) who refuses to acknowledge his territorial claim.

I've been watching them go at it for a couple of weeks and this one finally stopped to pose for a nice portrait this afternoon. He's certainly a photogenic little guy once you get him to sit still for a minute.
The picture was cropped about 30% but the color is as photographed.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger T. Beth said...

Superb photo! Rufous Hummingbirds and Anna's Hummingbirds are equally spunky and hot-tempered, so it would be hard for either to give in. Among the many hummingbirds where I live in southeastern Arizona, I've observed that Rufous and Anna's hummingbirds are definitely two of the more aggressive species.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely photos. So glad your back! I'm just a lurker here, but I have missed you!

5:53 PM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

oh he's a pretty wee thing,
hope you and peggy are both well.

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Jim and Peg are in the house!

I love both of your shots. I think the pelican pic is a great composition. The one of the hummingbird is just amazing because we, your gentle readers, can examine all of his perfect little details close up.

I just love your photos. They bring peace and wonder to my day. Kathy in Ky

5:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How pretty. i especially liked the pelicans

7:22 AM  
Blogger Eric Valentine said...

Such beautiful shot, what vibrant colors. It's great having you back Jim.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jane O' said...

I love your picture. We only have ruby-throated hummingbirds here. There are so sweet. Eveyone I know enjoys the feeders and watching their activites.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

That is an amazing photo, Jim!

Good to see you back in the blogosphere. I'm toasting your return with a home brewed Belgian Witbier right now!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Birsen Şahin said...

That's fantastic photo Jim

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.