Saturday, May 12, 2007

Avalon, Catalina - May 10th 2007

AVALON - FROM THE PIER ON THURSDAY
Click on photo to enlarge - © 2007 by Jeff Stanford/L.A. Times
Most of you know that our son Jimmy lives in Avalon, on Catalina Island, with his girlfriend Sandra. Jimmy was out fishing Thursday when he first saw the smoke and I believe Sandra was at a ranch or stable outside of Avalon working with some horses. We talked with Jimmy about dusk Thursday evening as he was waiting at the pier with Sandra's brother Gregor. They had her cat and bird there with them, in cages, but didn't know exactly where Sandra was at the time. Apparently she showed up at the pier somewhat later and they were all evacuated on a Catalina Express boat at 11 P.M. They're staying with Sandra's sister in Southgate, so, everybody's safe & well, thankfully, and the beautiful historic town of Avalon has now been spared too.
I was also happy to learn that the first Bald Eagle chicks to hatch naturally on Catalina (earlier this year) since DDT wiped out the native populations decades ago were not harmed in the fire. However, it is not yet known what effects the fire will have on the endangered Island Kit Fox population, which is hanging on by a thread.
Fire season is upon us very early this year and Southern California, including our San Benardino Mountains, is a tinder box. Big Bear is in a virtual tie for its driest winter on record with 5.63 inches of precipitation when our average is 20.68 inches.
I'm just hoping for a good Monsoon Summer that gets us so wet the lightning can't ignite anything.
I don't know how life is going for all you other folks but there never seems to be a dull moment in our lives anymore. I'm reminded again of the old Roman curse, "May you live in interesting times". And it looks to me like times are getting more interesting by the day!
Now, where have we been all these weeks???
More computer problems! Somehow a piece of malignant high-risk spyware (one which I could find no way to remove) got past Norton and infected my computer. When I bought this computer in January it came with a free upgrade to Windows Vista which I was leary of installing because of possible compatibilty problems with some of my older software. Well, the spyware spurred me on to wipe my drive and start clean with Vista, and, just as I suspected, several of my programs were not compatible. I'm still rebuilding files and re-installing updated versions of my software. I finally have Photoshop installed again so maybe I can catch up a bit now on what's been going on around here.

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger arcolaura said...

Scary! Glad to hear that everyone is safe. We have had 1.5 inches or so of rain over the past week, and I am much relieved. The ground was so dry last fall, there was hardly any frost in the ground. We had a lot of snow early in the winter but then not much through the rest, and the spring runoff didn't amount to much. Just days after the snow melted, I could put a shovel in to its full depth anywhere in the garden. Farmers were seeding a full month ahead of the time I would expect to see them out. But now we have some moisture and everything is turning lush green. I hope you get some rain soon too.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I'm glad Jimmy and Sandra are okay. We have a huge fire in northern MN, on the Canadian border, that is the worst fire in recent history. Luckily the lodge where The Hermit and I spent our honeymoon was spared. My neck of the woods is green enough to not be in any huge danger.

5:08 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I thought of your son when I heard about the Catalina fires. I'm glad that he and Sandra are safe.

Great news about the eagles, and I hope the foxes make it, too. So many tender lives to worry about and wish for the best.

Good luck with your computer.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

arcolaura, deb and robin-

Three of my favorite blog people!!!

Thanks for checking in on us even after my long absences and thanks for keeping Jimmy in your thoughts too.

Love & Peace,

Jim & Peggy

11:58 AM  
Blogger roger said...

please let us know how vista works for you. we also have a newish computer which is "vista ready"and have the vista disc, but are wary of converting.

nice garden harvest. early spring up here in wa too, but no shortage of water.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just glad you are back. And there is more than one post to read! I am going to save them for Sunday morning, when I can savor them over a cup of coffee. I will not be tempted, I will not be tempted. :)
- Kathy in Kentucky
PS - I am glad your son is safe.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...





Keep it up
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-moving-company-hail.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-moving-company-hafar-al-batin.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-moving-company-khamis.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/furniture-moving-company-tabuk.html

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Local Packers And Movers Bangalore said...


Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! Local Packers And Movers Bangalore

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Packers And Movers Gurgaon said...

Hey, Wow all the posts are very informative for the people who visit this site. Good work! We also have a Blog.Please feel free to visit our site. Thank you for sharing.
@ Packers And Movers Gurgaon
Packers And Movers Gurgaon to Chennai
Packers And Movers Gurgaon to Pune

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Packers and Movers in Mumbai said...

Your site is truly cool and this is an extraordinary moving article.
@ Packers and Movers mumbaihttps://packersmoversmumbaicity.in/

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Packers and Movers in Mumbai said...

Your site is truly cool and this is an extraordinary moving article.
@ Packers and Movers mumbaihttps://packersmoversmumbaicity.in/

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.