Monday, October 17, 2005

Beautiful, Beautiful Thunderstorm...













Click on photo to enlarge

I took this photo yesterday after a light morning rain had fallen, a rain that was just a teaser for what was to follow.

Last night we enjoyed one of the most dramatic thunderstorms I can remember, the flashing, crashing and booming continuing relentlessly until dawn.

Upstairs, in our little cabin, with the rain lashing at the roof, the wind swaying & ripping at our forest of Jeffrey Pines, and the constant thunderous trembling of earth & sky, it was almost like being in a tiny ship on a storm tossed sea (minus the seasickness).

Nobody slept much, we just laid here, all cozy like, taking in the spectacular show mother nature was providing.

Well, the humans were enjoying it anyway, Dallas was terrified and spent the whole night on the bed with me, Peggy, and our two cats, Trinity & Neo.

We received over 2 inches of rain & hail last night and the storm continues today without quite the drama, a more subdued thundering, but with lots of intermittent driving rain. My guess is that we've had another inch to inch and a half of rain this morning and the storm is supposed to continue into Wednesday.

So I'm spending the day indoors by a warm fire reading some and checking up on my blogger friends while enjoying the aura of rightness emanating from the forest around me.


addendum:

OOoooooooohhhhh! The drama has resumed, I think I'd best turn off the computer for awhile.

;~O

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger R.Powers said...

Sounds great. I love storms, but I have lost a few modems along the way.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love thunderstorms and miss views of the open skies so I can watch them roll in.
Lovely photo too :)

5:28 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Nice description of a thunderstorm. I have lots of family living in California, so I've been hearing about the rain and thunder all day!
We started to do rainwater collection this year. Watered our garden with it all summer. We learned that a little rain goes a long way.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

floridacracker-

so far I've been very lucky...

cindy-

your photographs of birds & insects are the best I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of photos in my 60 years...

rexroth's daughter-

our rainbarrels runneth over...

6:27 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Strange coincidence...we had a thunderstorm last night. We've lost a couple modems as well. Are ya enjoying a good brew in the meantime? ;)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Deb-

Stone IPA, from another great brewery, in San Diego of all places.

:~)

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know that someone else's dog gets on the bed....ours too
(in fact he does everything we said he never would!!)
The best thunder storms I've ever seen were when we lived in Queensland, Australia. Very spectacular.
~kiwi

2:03 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Beautiful photo! Did you took some photos from the thunderstorms?

5:46 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

I've got camera envy! I wish mine took close-ups like that!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

madcapmum-

If you want to get real camera and photo envy go click on the WoodSong link from my blog and then go to her Woodsong Nature Photography website and view the galleries there.

Yikes!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

sonia-

No pics of the thunderstorm, I couldn't figure out how to go outside and attempt it without getting my new camera all wet.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love thunderstorms to, although i now stay under shelter when there is lightening in the sky. It only took getting hit once. Ofcourse where we are in the mountains now its very hard to see the storms coming. That used to be my favorite part.

12:25 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

im loving your pictures, jim
I have some (simple stuff really) at http://purplishhaze.blogspot.com

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.