Friday, October 14, 2005

Banner Blue Heron Day!





















Click on photos to enlarge

During my 25 years here in Big Bear I've never seen more than two Great Blue Herons at one time until this morning.

I counted four of them in the west end of marsh and I think there was a fifth in the main lake where it joins the marsh.

I didn't see any of the other four fly over that way but I couldn't see them all at that time.

While I was taking the picture below another of the giant birds flew so low over my head it could've grabbed my hat, a very fun morning indeed!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely a banner day to remember- and great photos to remember it by too. Glad I found your blog, my family spent many weekends up at Big Bear (I grew up in Mojave). Will def. be back to read more soon :)

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue herons are pretty common in my part of the Midwest, but I'm still impressed every time I see one. Magnificent birds.

6:20 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Beautiful heron photos. We see them up here on the Olympic Peninsula often. I love photographing them, and I never tire of it. They are so graceful.
You capture their beauty so well.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Gorgeous birds, aren't they? We see them a lot where I live on the West Coast.

But what a funny sound they make! Definitely not the right sound for such an elegant bird. :)

12:50 PM  
Blogger LenĂ© Gary said...

Until a couple of weeks back, I had only seen one or two at a time. They're congregating now near Lake Champlain. I saw 9 in one river and several others that day in other nearby ponds and marshy areas. Great photos!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.