Saturday, October 13, 2007

Oh, the beauty in nature...

Ann at the Waterfall Click on photo to enlarge - © 1974 jim otterstrom
What can I say about this one?
Inspired by Ann's stunning beauty, and my love of nature, I combined those elements in an attempt to capture the essence of a classic nude painting in a 35mm photograph.
I still find the result to be breathtaking...
Annie was my girlfriend 33 years ago, and half a lifetime away, so this picture is one of my treasures.
She was also the model for the 1973 photo illustrating my 'Cave Dweller' essay a couple of years ago.
The above photo was taken along a secluded little stream in the Santa Monica Mountains in October of 1974, and the diffused light beneath a canopy of trees allowed for a lovely exposure, no pun intended.
I was 28 and Ann was probably 21 or 22. Today, she is still a beautiful human being, inside and out, living with her two sons and a daughter in Northern California.

Original image taken in October of 1974 with a Nikon F2 Photomic using Kodachrome slide film/exposure data long lost & forgotten. Digital image copied from the original slide with a Bower High Defintion II slide-copier attached to a 5 megapixel Canon S2IS.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger David Houser said...

Jim,

Love the photos. Did you ever work as a professional photographer, or was this purely a hobby?

And you've certainly known an awful lot of lovely ladies in your life!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi David-

No, I was never professional, but I dabbled at selling my photos before discovering that I'm a lousy businessman.

My art always came from my heart, so I enjoyed giving it away more than selling it.

And yes, I've known some incredibly beautiful women, including my wife of 28 years, I'm a very lucky man...

I'm glad you like the photos David, I love sharing them.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

The light really is gorgeous, and so is she.

I'm longing for mountains now. With waterfalls. And a dose of summer thrown in, much as I love fall.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The camera really loves that scene and the model. I'm glad you're posting some of your old photos.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

madcap-

Sometimes I miss those cozy little streams and canyons down in that coastal mediterranean climate where I grew up, but there's just way too many there people now.

There's way too many people here too, but not in comparison to the L.A. area.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

pablo-

I thought of you when I was posting this picture.

I remembered that you liked the previous picture I posted of Annie.
;~)

How's everything at Round Rock?

I'll have to check in on you, I've been a bad blogger lately, again!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.