Wednesday, August 08, 2007

JOE BAGEANT TELLS IT LIKE IT IS!

EARTH HOME GARDEN'S
'BOOK OF THE YEAR'
Click on covers to enlarge - © 2007 Joseph L. Bageant/Crown Publishers

I know, the year isn't over yet, and we've read a bunch of good books at Earth Home Garden in the past 7+ months, including Jared Diamond's Collapse, The Humboldt Current by Aaron Sachs, and Limits to Growth, The 30‑Year Update by Donella Meadows, Jorgen Randers and Dennis Meadows. But I'm willing to claim that no other book I read during the remainder of the year will resonate with me like Joe Bageant's Deer Hunting With Jesus.

Articulately profane, gut-wrenchingly honest, and frighteningly well-informed, Deer Hunting With Jesus paints a profoundly vivid portrait of what's become of America and the promise of Democracy, revealing in great detail the tragic consequences of blind faith, of a mis-informed semi-literate right-wing conservative working class, and the arrogant self-defeating intellectual elitism of the so-called liberal left. Joe tells his potentially depressing story with deep affection and generous humor.

If Deer Hunting With Jesus doesn't hit home with you, you're living in a different America than I am.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to give this one a wide berth. It's depressing enuf to see the state of things, but to think that someone has quantified it so much makes me depressed even more.

Still, great title for a book.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

pablo-

This book actually left me feeling uplifted and less isolated in a world where mindless materialistic drivel, the propagandized stench of the corporate media, reeks non-stop, wherever you turn, from every publication, radio station, TV screen or computer monitor, 24/7.

You're missing a stunning piece of work!

4:20 PM  
Blogger arcolaura said...

Sounds fascinating! I've still got "Limits to Growth" half-read on my shelf, along with numerous others, and I need to read "The Stone Builder's Primer" before it's overdue, but I'll be watching for this one.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like a fascinating read. I just put a hold on it at our library. Thanks for sharing!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

arcolaura-

I know what you mean about half-read books, I have 4 or 5 of them piled up and waiting myself, but I couldn't put Deerhunting With Jesus down. It was one of those books that ended too soon leaving me hungry for more of Joe's insights.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

v.v

I'm so glad you've reserved this great book which clarifies the huge divide between liberals and conservatives and how it's in the best interests of the corporate state to keep us divided and thus conquered.

8:07 AM

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had to come back here and tell you the funny coincidence this morning after I read your post. I was outside gardening and I saw a truck drive very slowly down my street which is a dead end. He stopped right in front of my house and I wondered for a second why he would be calling on us. The truck was a HUGE new dual cab truck that had been professionally painted with camoflauge colors. As he pulled away I noticed the big sticker in the middle of his back window which was a white outline of a deer head. On the left side of the window he had a WWJD sticker AND on the bumper sticker he had 3, yes 3 christian fish stickers. The title of Joe Bageant's book is hysterical. I hope, like you mentioned to Pablo, that it will help uplift me and give me hope because sometimes, living in the middle of the deer hunting bible belt, it's easy to lose hope.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Our library doesn't carry this one so I will actually purchase it then put it up for sharing. With a title like that you can't go wrong.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really need to find this book! It sounds great.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to add too that I have seen this mentality so much after living in the South. It is really disturbing and I can't understand how the mission of Jesus jives with blind Walmart consumerism and the intolerance of other cultures that I saw.

11:28 AM  
Blogger uncle leo said...

I bought this book after reading your review. It's very funny and very sad. I hang at an irish pub down the road, Fox news is on all the time and the same additudes prevail. If your'e looking for something else to read try "the terror conspiracy" by Jim Marrs and you will learn why almost 50% of New Yorkers believe 9/11 was an inside job.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.