Monday, January 01, 2007

The Art Of Tea, In A Brand New Year...


Click on photo to enlarge - © 2007 jim otterstrom
Peggy and I are enjoying a quiet peaceful first day of 2007.
Our second pot of green tea, 'China Tips', is steeping in the pot.
We're listening to music from an entire century as the iPod shuffles through random play, selecting tunes from our own ROBINHOOD RADIO© collection of 12,000+ carefully chosen songs*, while Peggy and I work on our new TOP SECRET project.
We can't tell you about it, or show pictures yet, because it's a surprise for loved ones who visit the blog, but as soon as it's finished and delivered I'll post the photos.
But I did post a picture of Peggy's new teapot. The lid on her other one was broken just before Christmas, which spurred me on to find her another one. So now she has two, because I managed to glue the top to the old one back together.
Much of my morning was spent cleaning the above tea kettle, which only had a light sheen of splattered grease on it, before I seriously burned it on the other day after boiling all the water away, while I was blogging. Maybe now the pot will stop callin' the kettle black!
Last night was mellow too, highlighted by Peggy's way delicious home-made Turkey soup. We burned a Bayberry Candle throughout the evening, shared a great bottle of 2002 Pinot Noir (a timely gift from our friends, Mark & Deb**), and then I practiced on the guitar while Peggy read.
We were asleep by 9 o'clock but Dallas jumped up on the bed just before midnight, frightened, as the revelers started cutting loose, so we were awake for the big moment.
Home Sweet Home...
WISHING YOU ALL A GOOD NEW YEAR...
*I'm unrepentant in my lifetime addiction to recorded music, having been a collector of records, tapes, and CDs since I was 11 years old, so our iPod is programmed with 50 years worth of my favorite tunes, a good percentage of them recorded well before my time, and from many diverse cultures. For me, music is the sweetest of all languages, and, although I can fully feel the emotion in it, I'm not very fluent in my practice of music (unless I'm dancing to it with the insrument that is my body). Too much listening and not enough playing is my diagnosis.
**Mark brought over the bottle of wine on Sunday afternoon (New Years Eve) when I was still in the midst of a 2-day battle with leaking faucets in our bathtub/shower. I spent an aggravating Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday trying to stop a stubborn leak that was trickling down the inside wall of the tub enclosure and soaking the floor. Finally, after not being able to find new valves locally to replace our well worn 37 year-old plumber's antiques, and after replacing all the washers twice, then all the packing and the brass seats (one of those twice because of bad threads), I got the leak stopped, and the water turned back on. Just in time to enjoy our New Years Eve.
Why does this stuff always seem to happen on week-ends or during the holidays when hardware stores have short hours?
Thanks Mark & Deb, we both found the Pinot Noir to be exceptional!

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Birsen Şahin said...

Jim, thanks for the visit.

Lara is my granddaughter.

Regarding the poetry :

http://dustarlasi.blogspot.com/

visit this blog where I made the translations of my poems.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 2007 to you and Peggy, Jim.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Birsen Şahin said...

Pls have a look on this page,

http://istanbul.indymedia.org/features/english/?l=en

we need help from abroad, as much as possible. Do you have friends that could send their opinion against this to our Ministry? You'll see the email address below.

fkasirga@adalet.gov.tr

This is the email address you have to answer to help our protest.


We still need help.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Jim & Peggy. May you always have love to share, health to spare and friends that care.
(Read your hello at Wildside's. Thank you.)

1:26 AM  
Blogger roger said...

nice teapot, tho a bit small for us tea addicts. our toilet flushing mechanism broke early new year's day. luckily enough i found a spare in a box of accumulated plumbing parts. i hear your pain in dealing with mature plumbing fixtures. glad it worked out ok, even if only after repeated ritual rebuildings.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

You're not kidding about these things happening over the holidays. Our washing machine/dryer died on Saturday, and my brother's washer flooded their place the next day. How do they know?!
Happy new year to you both!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you Jim & Peg!!
I'm remembering the years we saw the new one in together ("In the Pines").

Thought I'd see more of you the last trip, but I got sick the day after Christmas and then went down the hill on Fri. Better now.

Hope the new year brings us all much joy!!

Neighbor Bill

8:33 PM  
Blogger Lené Gary said...

Happy New Year, Jim and Peggy. I've thought of you often even though I haven't been online. It sounds like you're starting 2007 with joy and peace in your hearts, which brings me the same.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

birsen-

I've been hooking up our new computer here, so I'm a bit behind with blogging, but I'll get that letter sent very soon.

Thanks...

jules-

Happy New Year to you as well!!

kiwi-

It's always so good to hear from you. If you still have an e-mail address you can send it to us at nativegarden@charter.net and,
Happy New Year to you guys in your New Zealand paradise.

roger and cheryl-

Somehow it's comforting to know we weren't the only ones having infrastructure problems over the holidays. ;~)

Bill-

It's so nice to have a real live neighbor comment at EHG. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but we had my friend Charlie up for a few days and then our new computer came Wednesday so I've been working on getting it up & running. I still can't post pictures to the blog because I haven't transferred the related programs & files yet. Maybe today.

Grant pulled in last evening and I got 5 fresh eggs from the coop for him this morning so I guess I'd better go wash and deliver them.
Are you coming up this week?

lené-

Happy New Year to you too, and tell your mom we send our best wishes as well. We got a New computer last Wednesday so I've been busy installing hardware, and hooking things up. Today I'm hoping to get some of my programs & files transferred so I can post pictures to the blog again. But right now I'm off to wash this mornings eggs and get the rest of my chores done. Then I'm expecting DHL to deliver another 2 Gigs of RAM for me to install this afternoon.

10:15 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

A Very Happy 2007!!!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a great teapot and a wonderful stove. Also, hooray for your music collection. It's interesting to me that you'd have an Ipod. It seem inconguent somehow, but it's a great tool for you music lovers, and so I salute you! What a way to ring in the new year!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have come to really appreciate quiet nights and days. I love my family but they have the TV on 24-7 which drives me nuts! It is so nice to have a quiet night of reading, knitting, ect. In fact, I have found it necessary for me to really slow down and appreciate things. Thanks for sharing!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Jim,

Where you be these days, big guy?

Tim

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sonia-

Happy 2007 to you too, I often think of that beautiful place where you live...

lisa-

Yes there are some contradictions between my primal Luddite self and my fascination with digital gadgets like cameras, computers and ipods. I'm definitely a work in progress, or regress, depending on how I'm looking at things on any given day. ;~)

hannah-

There's nothing I enjoy more that a quiet night around the house, reading, basket-making, or listening to the whirrr of Peggy's sewing machine.

I can hardly stand to be in the same building with a television...

Tim-

Check out the post for January 14th, that's what I've been up to, but I think I'm back for awhile. How you been friend?

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.