Sunday, April 30, 2006

SKUNKED!


Click on photo to enlarge

The Spotted Owl Survey is in progress again this year and Peggy, Dallas, and I have been helping out a bit.

I discovered just how out of shape I am on Thursday night when Doug (the ‘Mountain Goat’ biologist) led the way up a trail that gained 2,000 ft. elevation in about a mile or so. Fortunately it was dark, cool, and drizzly or I might have dropped dead right there. I can walk for miles on relatively flat ground, even at 7,000 feet, but the steep stuff is a real challenge at the end of my winter atrophy and fat accumulation.

Doug and I visited five owl territories between 6:00 P.M. and 2:30 A.M. Thursday, and five more on Friday, between 6:30 P.M. and 2:15 A.M. Thursday we found owls in three of the five territories, but Friday, in the badly burned territories near Lake Arrowhead, we found none.

By Saturday night my bones & muscles were begging for mercy, and Peggy wanted her turn in the barrel, so she, Doug, and Dallas went out and got more than they bargained for.

They visited seven territories between 6:30 P.M. and 12:45 A.M. and got skunked, literally skunked, and no birds!

I woke up when Peggy came in, hearing the shower going, and smelling this weird stench in the house that I thought was some bizarre herbal concoction Peg was brewing up. I heard Dallas whimpering outside the door so I stumbled downstairs, let him in, gave him a pat ot two, and crawled back up to bed.

But the stench was growing stronger, and now my left hand (the one I patted Dallas with) was reeking with the same odor. That’s when I realized what was going on. I went back down, put Dallas outside again, and by then, found Peg getting out of the shower to tell me of the nights adventures.

At the fourth territory, Dallas took off chasing some critter, when, at the last minute, Doug saw it was a skunk and yelled at Dallas to stop, but it was too late.

The skunk let Dallas have it full-force right in the snout, which stopped the misfortunate dog in his tracks, sending him wallowing and rolling his nose in the dirt to try and rid himself of the stench.

What I can hardly believe is that Doug and Peggy visited three more territories with that reeking dog in the back seat of the car before they headed home. That’s real dedication if you ask me.

Anyhow, Dallas is an outside dog now, for the foreseeable future, and he is obviously not happy with his new fragrance. We can’t pet him, we can’t even put his leash on to take him for a walk until the stench subsides a bit, so I’m going to check the internet to see if there’s a way to get some of the smell off of him.

As you can see in the picture, the poor fellow looks very regretful, and I guess I’ll try and leash him with my gloves on, so I can take him to the lake for a swim. At the moment we can’t even keep the windows open because of the skunky aroma blowing in from Dallas.

I must admit, that's a quite clever defense mechanism those skunks have come up with!

;~(

postscript

For the remedy see post below...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

My uncle (the one with the farm and much experience with skunks and dogs) swears by tomato juice. A bath, not a bowlful.

I have no personal experience but I've heard it other places.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Light a match in a car and the stench leaves almost immediately and bathe in tomato juice...so I've heard.

I'd go ahead and rub some tomato juice on Dallas at the lake before he jumps in...couldn't hurt?

Something frightened a skunk last night, but thankfully none of our cats were sprayed...but the smell outside was sure loud.

1:48 PM  
Blogger TheTart said...

Nice pic & cute skunky pooch! =^..^=

Smooch,
The Tart
; )

2:11 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

Hi, just stopped over to who lives here..*S* I was going to add the tomato juice tip, but I see it's been said. To the best of my knowledge, a wash tub with dog inside, and a liberal dousing with tomato juice should do the trick, followed by a bath.

2:49 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Regretfull or not that is a lovely photo of him!

6:38 PM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

he's lovely, I had to laugh at your story, hope the smell fades soon!!

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husky had a few run-ins with skunks. I tried tomato juice but found that a borax solution got rid of the smell completely. I don't remember how much I used, you'll have to experiment, but it's powerful stuff so don't go crazy. Dissolve the borax powder in very hot water then dilute it with cold water to a comfortable temperature. Make sure to rinse it off completely since it is very drying to the skin. I always followed that with conditioner to combat the dryness. She seemed to appreciate the results and so did we.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Cara Mengobati Radang Empedu said...


Thank you, the article is very helpful, hopefully this article is useful for all.

Obat Kokoloteun (Flek Hitam Diwajah)
Obat Penyakit Rhinitis Alergi
Obat Penyakit Henoch-Schonlein Purpura
Obat Untuk Meredakan Nyeri Sendi
3 Obat Herbal Mengi
Obat Radang Telinga
Cara Mengatasi Penyakit Emboli Paru

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.