Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Maybe You Just Need Glasses?


Nevermind clicking on photo to enlarge, it won't help...

OK, so maybe the problem isn't your eyesight.

I get a lot of compliments about my photographs here, but, as you can see, they don’t always turn out so good!

Yesterday a pair of Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum) landed in the young Jeffrey Pine (Pinus jeffreyi) next to the solar waterfall.


I’ve seen Cedar Waxwings over by the lake but never in the yard before, so I believe they were attracted by the sound of the trickling water, as we have no ripe fruit or berries currently.

From the deck, I saw them land out of the corner of my eye, glanced over while picking up the camera, pointed, and pressed the shutter button in too big a hurry (before the camera focused), and bam, the birds were gone.

Damn!

Well maybe they’ll come back, but for now, there you have them, blurry Cedar Waxwings visiting Earth Home Garden.

Nice photo huh?

;~(

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

Ah, but you didn't have to pay to have that photo developed! That's the beauty of digital photography for me - I don't have to pay for my mistakes. What's a "solar waterfall?"

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I kind of like the photo. It would go great with a title like "Can't see the forest through the trees."

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every morning I wake up and say how can I be more like you. Now I know that I already am!

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

each year when the service berries are ripe, we get bombed by ceder waxwings. if i happen to be at work or away when the berries ripen, i miss the show until next year. ( they only hang around til the last one has been eaten)

11:13 AM  
Blogger CG said...

I love it Jim!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I like it: honesty in blogging. We tend to post only the best, what passes our self-critical eye. Perhaps there should be more photos like this posted on blogs.

1:39 PM  
Blogger arcolaura said...

I posted some blurry woodticks today. Figured nobody would want to see them any clearer anyway!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I have a bunch of photos that look just like that! A solar waterfall? What is that and does it work?

8:54 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Mum and Tabor-

A solar waterfall is just one that is powered by a photovoltaic panel nad it works very well whenever the sun is shining. I built it last year to attract more wildlife, especially birds, to the garden.

I'll post a photo of it later today so you can see what it looks like, but right now I'm going out for a nice long walk by the lake.

Pablo-

Many mornings I wake up wishing I had a place like Roundrock.

Kara-

Maybe when my Service Berries mature I'll have Cedar Waxwings regularly.

Deb-

I agree, and maybe I'll start posting more of my mistakes for the human or humor aspect of them.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

I apologize if I haven't been keeping up with everyone but the yard & gardens are beckoning me to their call much of the day now and I'm still not getting enough done.

6:42 AM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

see, its not a point and shoot camera, too many buttons!

1:08 PM  
Blogger tansy said...

hahaha...i have a lot of photos in my collection that look like this!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

good to know you are not perfect, Jim! Birds are a trick to photograph -- I tried yesterday to shoot some falcons, but they were swooping high and fast. I've got some far away shots...

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.