Thursday, December 29, 2005

Counting Our Blessings!
















Click on photo to enlarge

Our brave handsome son Jimmy is alive and smiling at the dawn of 2006, and he says, "If the loss of my vision is permanent, it's not going to ruin my life, I'll find ways to do the things I want to do and enjoy life, you'll see dad."

Jimmy loves the guitar I gave him for Christmas, it was my beloved Gibson, but I prefer to play acoustic, and he likes electric, so it's the perfect gift at the right time I think.

I enjoy hearing him down in his room playing softly into the wee hours of the night, it soothes me to sleep at a time when I'm experiencing insomnia and have been very restless & worried.

Observing Jimmy's courage during these extremely difficult days has made it easier for Peggy and I to deal with too, but I realize it's still very early in a long long period of adjustment, and he is going to need plenty of support.

Jimmy's working on pumping back up that buff physique he sported a few months ago so we set up a weight bench on the deck to assist in his efforts.

I don't know if I've posted this before, but just 48 days after Jimmy's wreck, another local kid, Nathan Hoover, 22 years of age and also a carpenter, went off Forest Road 2N02 in exactly the same place as Jimmy & Lindsay did, but Nate was killed. It's a small town and we knew Nate, and his parents too, from our years at the Post Office, but the magnitude of their tragedy puts our suffering into perspective doesn't it?

We are here, we are healing, and we are thinking of you all as well...

I, for one, am hoping for a more fruitful and much less traumatic 2006!

Love,

Jim

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Kayfer Kettle said...

Hello,

I came across your place at random, and I am so very glad I did.

It is quite the loveliest blog I have come across; so eloquent and open. You remind me of a very dear uncle and his family, who had the same kind of lifestyle and mind-set as you guys I think.

There were so many of the posts that I wanted to make a comment on, that I thought I would just put one reply on this latest thread.

I really wish you all the very best for the coming year, and hope that your son goes from strength to strength.

I hope you can continue to enjoy the riches you strive to surround yourselves with, and I hope you will not mind if I pop back now and then to have a read of the blog.

It really has been a pleasure.

Kate.

5:22 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

hi I saw peggy in the East side book cafe today, and i remembered to look this up - now it seems I have some reading to do ( my recent posts are crap - but please dig back to summer when I was a better writer.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Ontario Wanderer said...

Have a look at this site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Healy

It might be of some inspiration to your son. Music is a great healer. Your gift was an excellent one.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thank you so much for posting this, Jim! I've been thinking of you guys a lot lately, hoping things are going well. What a great gift, Jim! Ontario Wanderer is right; music is a great healer.

Wishing everyone at Earth Home Garden a blessed New Year.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Jimmy's wearing a very forward-looking face in that picture. I believe him - he's going to find ways of doing things and squeeze all the juice out of life.

That must have been horrifying to watch this happen to Nate's family, too, with a worse outcome.

I wish you a very fruitful 2006 indeed! All my best love to you and Peggy and your kids.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Kate-

I'm glad you found us and thanks for your very kind remarks.

David-

Welcome!

Nice to see a local 'Sugarloafer' visiting our blog, and I've been snooping around your blog a bit this morning too!

O.W.-

Thanks for the Jeff Healey Wikipedia link. I've been a fan of Jeff since the movie 'Roadhouse' came out and have quite a bit of his music.
I've thought of him often since Jimmy's accident.
Jimmy is playing as I type this, and he's encouraging me to play more often too.

Deb & Mum-

Both of you are in my thoughts and my heart every day, you'll not get rid of me now...

;~)

12:13 PM  
Blogger tansy said...

thanks for the update. i have been thinking about jimmy a lot. i am sorry to hear his blindness may be permanent but glad to hear he has an upbeat outlook on life.

i am sorry to hear about nate. that is so sad. i'm glad to hear though that your story didn't end the same.

i've missed your postings and hope you are able to post more in the new year!

xo

1:10 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Blessings on your family in 2006!

I am so glad your family is able to face all this with such a positive attitude. It must make all the difference.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're here.. and healing. I'm in good company while I do my own healing.
I keep telling myself 'it could always be worse'.. which is true, but it's not always easy to remember that in the middle of a crisis.
Counting blessings is a wonderful way to start a new year I think.. many blessings to you and yours my friend,
Cindy

8:12 PM  
Blogger LenĂ© Gary said...

A warm smile for the early beams.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

I'm glad to hear Jimmy's on the road to recovery. I am amazed they survived that. I wish you and yours a very happy New Year! -Walter, in Vermont

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.