Saturday, November 14, 2009

Will You Still Need Me...

Click on photo to enlarge - © 2009 jim otterstrom

The Beatles asked us that question 42 years ago, when I was all of 22, and I can remember trying to envision any of us at the ancient age of 64.

Well, here I am, now an official member of the Old Buzzard Club, by Beatle standards anyway, and I don't have to imagine anymore, I can just look in the mirror at the reality of it all!

As for the answer to their question, I may be in luck. Peggy still says she needs me and I smell something good cooking down in the kitchen, which means I may be getting fed in a few minutes!

I'm feeling very fortunate today, half of the Beatles never made it to 64, and yet I'm getting ready to take a nice morning walk along the lake with my dear wife, Peg, and my sweet dog Dallas.

Plans for the rest of the day include making an apple pie together with some of the bucket full of apples a neighbor gave us off her tree. We're visiting with my old, old buddy, Charlie Melton (50 years as pals now), who came to celebrate the occasion with me, and tonight, the three of us are going out dancing to the great blues music of our friend Jimmy Reid.

I was officially sixty-four at exactly 5:11 A.M., just about the time I started putting this post together.

The Turkey Vulture photo was taken by me at the Moonridge Animal Park, here in Big Bear, in August, 2007. The animals at the park have been injured, or can no longer survive in the wild, for one reason or another, and this handsome ol' buzzard is one of the inhabitants there.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

Oh, Happy Birthday Jim!

I'd feed ya... how about lazy cabbage rolls and GF chocolate cake?

XO! ... and a barrage of birthday bumps...

7:07 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Happy Birthday!! I so remember when I first heard that Beatles song and I wondered at the time if I would ever have a loyal love that lasted that long...lucky me. AND lucky you.

10:47 AM  
Blogger tansy said...

happy birthday jim! may your year be filled with happiness and joy!

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't stopped by to visit your blog in awhile, and I made it just in time to wish you happy birthday! I hope you had a fantastic day, Jim. -- KinKY

6:02 PM  
Blogger anna maria said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you are spending it in excellent ways.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Happy Birthday!

6:12 AM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

happy birthday!

11:11 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

Happy birthday Jim. You are a fortunate man, to have such a rich life and a beautiful partner.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Birsen Şahin said...

Happy birthday jim

2:54 PM  
Blogger CatHerder said...

Happy Birthday Jim! I turned 46 yesterday! Im hoping my hubby still needs me when im 64..hope you had a great birthday and many many more

6:09 AM  
Blogger roger said...

well, i'm only a week late. happy birthday. and happy wedding anniversary whenever that is.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Linda Navroth said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Jim! All the best to you--hope it was the swell day that you planned! Glad I found your blog a couple years back (whilst doing a search for info on the Topanga Corral) and have enjoyed hearing about the doings at Earth Home Garden ever since. I'm about 4 1/2 months behind you--heck, I never thought I'd see 30, let alone creeping up on 60! Talk about your long strange trips...
Take care,
Linda

8:05 AM  
Blogger Val said...

Congratulations. Have a good year ahead too. My husband had a special 64 birthday party, and friends in our village rewrote the lyrics and sang their version to him. Sweet.

12:55 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

first snow, time to change tires, unless you only own bicycle tires, then you just need to get out the Sorel's
Happy winter wonderland to you.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.