Thursday, June 22, 2006

Shadowplay


Click on photo to enlarge

The native Giant Lupine (Lupinus polyphyllus) growing next to the boulder birdbath is ready to burst into full color in the next few days and I really liked its shadow effect on the rock last evening.
I planted this from seed 3 years ago and today it is nearly 4 1/2 feet tall with at least 15 long flower stalks.
The stalks are still mostly green but I'll post a photo once they've turned purple.
I've also heard Lupinus polyphyllus referred to as Big Leaf Lupine, Stream Lupine and Bog Lupine.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

That's gorgeous. You've got a good eye, Jim.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, what a large lupine! I've tried to grow them here, not enough sun.
As always, a beautiful photo my friend.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

These patterns are wonderful!

4:22 AM  
Blogger Norene Griffin said...

yes, this one is especially beautiful.

8:48 PM  
Blogger LenĂ© Gary said...

The shadows are very cool, Jim. Before I even got to your words, I was asking you whether the whorled leaves were lupine. It was as if you read my mind.

Our lupine is finally blooming here. Hope you're having a good summer.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.