Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Brief Case Of Lupine Fever...


Click on photo to enlarge

Grape Soda Lupine (Lupinus excubitus) began blooming a few days ago and while I was up close taking pictures today the delicious grape-soda fragrance lulled me into a nostalgic, almost hypnotic, state as I briefly revisited a childhood moment of walking down a rural-summer dirt-road drinking an ice-cold 10 cent bottle of Nehi Grape Soda.
There's magic in this flower that transports me to another time & place with the simple casting of its scent upon the breeze, and the yellow banner spots bring a festive cheerfulness to the lavender flowers too.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger LenĂ© Gary said...

I've never noticed ours to be multi-colored like that. When they begin to bloom, I'll have to look more closely.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

Thanks for the reminders of childhood - the Nehi soda was such a treat (I prefered orange:=)
Carefree summer - anything that brings those memories has to be treasured.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh . . . i have tried so many times to start those from seed. My mother has also. They just turn to mush on us.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

Oh, I love Lupine! Ours just started to bloom. I tried to get these to grow from seeds a neighbor had given us to no avail. Finally, I took the last of the seed and broadcast them two years ago. Now we have them all over. Turns out I was being to gentle and caring perhaps. :) Seriously though, I wonder if they needed the winter's cold or something like that to trigger them. Just call me the accidental gardener. :)

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.