Sunday, October 30, 2005

A Pair Of Pygmies





















Click on photo to enlarge

Two Pygmy Nuthatches (Sitta pygmaea) peck at an abandoned telephone pole along our walk home from the marsh Saturday morning.
I was trying to be patient until they both came into the sunlight, which never happened, but I kind of like this shot with one in the light and one in silhouette.
This picture reminds me that the really good bird photographer around these blog parts, Cindy M., has tagged me, so if your reading this Cindy I'll try & get to that tag thing tomorrow.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Those are two very little, cute birds!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Cute indeed. We have red-breasted and white breasted nuthatches around here year round, and they are some of my favorite birds.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

I like it with one in the light and one in silhouette. And I'm glad you're back out in the light of day!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

rd-

Yes, they are everpresent here & very cute to watch walking headfirst down the side of a pine, and for the past 3 years I've had a pair nesting in a box outside our front window.

deb-

I love them too, and we also have the White-Breasted here in smaller numbers, but not the Red-Breasted.

Have you ever seen them defending their nest by arching their wings up behind them, sort of Batman style, and making scary looking advances toward some intruder like a Gray Squirrel.

There's something a human can relate to, something touching, yet almost tragically comical in seeing these tiny birds acting all bad-ass & courageous to protect their offspring.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Mum-

You might not say that if you actually saw me here, I haven't brushed my hair yet!

Talk about a Scarecrow!!
;~)

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful photos, as always

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you certainly don't need 'lessons', this is a great photo that takes me back many years. Such engaging little nuthatches.
I envy those clear blue skies! :)

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.