Friday, September 02, 2005

For The 'Love' Of Our Cars!!!


Click on photo to enlarge

Photo taken on Thursday 8:18 P.M. September 1st at Loma Linda Hospital

Our 23 year old son Jimmy after driving his 4X4 truck off a 450 foot cliff last Sunday morning at 1 AM.

Since 1903 something approaching 4 million people have been killed in automobiles in America alone.

This doesn't take into account all the crippled & maimed victims, the ruined families, the incredible number of animals wiped out, the destruction of habitat for highways & roads, the immeasurable amount of poison we've dumped into our air & water, or the countless lives being lost everyday to our criminally-waged oil wars!

There is nothing on this earth I despise more than the automobile with it's all-consuming murderous infrastructure, and the pain I'm feeling right now, as I suffer with my family over our sons injuries, will only strengthen my resolve to live without a GOD-DAMNED car!!

Yes, our son is young & reckless, and very much at fault for this accident, but a great number of people who's lives are destroyed by this beast of an invention are completely innocent!

Jimmy is lucky this time, he's still alive, but his jaw is severely broken, he's breathing through a trachea tube so he can't speak, and for the moment he can't see anything either, and we still don't know if his vision will improve or not.

But his spine is OK, he can move his hands & feet, and he's communicating by writing.

Miraculously, Jimmy's girlfriend Lindsay suffered only minor injuries and was able to climb out of the canyon in the dark, walking 5 miles on a dirt road (with only one shoe) to summon the help which saved Jim's life, and we are so grateful for her clear thinking under such stress.

Lindsay even thought to tie her sweatshirt to a tree at the accident site, because the car was so far down the ravine that it couldn't be seen from the road (even with the emergency lights flashing), and she wasn't sure she could find her way back there.

By the time she got help and they were able to rescue him, after repelling all their equipment into the canyon, Jimmy had been trapped in that truck for 7 hours and his tongue had swollen to the point where it was cutting off his air supply.

They got there just in time!

Today Lindsay is our heroine, but they both could've easily died right there, and nobody would've even found them yet.

So please, go back up and enlarge the photo of Jimmy, take a long look, and before you put your babies or other loved ones in the car again, ask yourselves if that trip is really necessary.

Hospitals are overflowing with victims of the automobile, and those are the lucky ones.

I will soon have much more to say about the insanity of our auto-addicted culture, but right now I must go to the hospital...

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jim & Peg,

I just clicked onto your blog, after receiving your email. We are so sorry that you are enduring this kind of crises right now. Nevertheless, we are grateful and thankful that Jimmy is in a recoverable state, albeit with a great deal of pain along the way. You and your family are of course in our thoughts and prayers. We love you guys, and thanks for keeping us informed.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am just some stranger who reads your blog, but i want you to know that i am so very sorry and you and your family will be in my thoughts as well. take care.

4:03 PM  
Blogger platespinner said...

Jimmy on a good day (2001).

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all in my heart. I pray for Jimmy's full recovery and send warm hugs to Jim and Peg. Jimmy has a wonderful young woman in his life. Love from Santa Cruz, Glo

9:05 PM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

Dear God, Jim and Peggy...

Maybe this might help a little.
(Seeing as Russell is 23 and I am 22)

We've been using our car more often lately, for silly errands and long country drives, but have recently talked a little about cutting back again, how guilty we've felt for driving.

Your blog was our initial inspiration to cutback on driving, but as summer wore down on us (>100 degree weather), we'd given in. TODAY, though, you have inspired me to WALK home from work as soon as I can, stomp in the door, put my foot down, look Russell in the eye and make a commitment: "NO MORE CAR." We'll just have to take what comes, period.

Thank you, and these unfortunate events, for making us make this step.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jim and Peggy,
I am in tears over this horrible event, and I'm praying for Jimmy's recovery.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

I am so, so sorry about your son. My prayers for his full recovery.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes...

prayers with you and your son.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim & Peg: I too am sending you lots of thoughts and prayers. I hope that Jimmy makes continued progress each day. He's young and strong! Love from LA,
Candy

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. Itsso terrible to see someone you love in an accident. Thats one smart girlfriend of his. My thoughts will be with you as well

2:53 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I've lurked on your blog a few times, and I just wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you and I am praying for Jimmy's recovery.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magen Walton,
Tell Jimmy I love him and that I hope he is doing better!! I miss him and you guys very much!

~*~*~Magen~*~*~

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.