Thursday, March 31, 2005

Then & Now - 24 Years Later


Click on photo to enlarge
On the left is really poor photo of our cabin and yard in 1981, shortly after we bought the place, and on the right is another taken today, from approximately the same spot.
The big Sequoia on the left of today's picture is one I planted 22 years ago.
I've posted some before & after, then & now pictures today so people can get an idea of what goes on around here, at least in the native plant gardens.
There are a few more below, and enlarged they show halfway legible comparisons. The posted pictures are much smaller than usual because of the extra width of two photos side by side.
Some of the trees I planted years ago are not native here, like the Sequoias and Colorado Blue Spruce, as I hadn't yet developed my passion for native plants.
But they are from similar climates and elevations and they help screen our small property and give us a sense of privacy.
Other than these trees, and two or three other plants that were already well established (like the Oregon Grape), everything in the habitat part of the property(seventy-some species) is native to within a few miles of here.

The rear 25% of the property is set aside for our food garden.
There is also a small 8' X 12' area with a pagoda-like structure we call the 'Temple Of The Lost Civilization' where we grow hops and a few non-native flowers, like oriental poppies, iris, daffodils, tulips & hollyhocks.
Posted by Hello

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I meant to post a comment but somehow I sent you an email instead. Oh well, you can read it and pretend I put it here. =)

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. You mentioned Oregon Grape, an unassuming plant I never paid much attention to until I moved to Oregon, where it's our state flower. I see it everywhere here, and I've developed a new appreciation for it. Seeing one always makes me smile, especially when it's in bloom as it is now. I'm glad you have my smile plant in your garden.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Obat Herpes Zoster/Cacar Api said...

This article is interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing. And let me share an article about health that God willing will be very useful. Thank you :)

Obat Pengapuran Otak pada Anak
Cara Mengatasi Mata Bengkak

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.