Sunday, June 06, 2010

Wild Blue Iris

Iris missouriensis
Click on photo to enlarge - © 2010 jim otterstrom

A Wild Blue Iris (Iris missouriensis) blooms near the shore of the Stanfield Marsh this morning.

I sometimes find myself blushing in the presence of such sensual beauty, so feminine in its expression.
I spent half an hour with this Iris today and that wasn't near long enough.
I laid down close to it, touched its soft tender petals, took in its delicate scent, and painted its graceful beauty into my memory. And then I photographed it to share with you.
Georgia O'Keefe was inspired by flowers like this to create some of her most passionate and controversial work.

I share Georgia's love for the passion and sensuality in nature, it's what drives evolution and the perpetuation of life.
~Long Live Sensuality, Passion, And Life~

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

I also photograph a lovely marsh iris every single spring.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Nice, and yes this is the same plant I photographed last year.

6:38 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

are you smokin' medical maryjane, Jim?
lot the 'farout'ness of this post

11:52 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

David-

Funny that you should find this post "far out". Do you also think the intended erotic nature of many of Georgia O'Keefe's flower paintings is "far out"?

At this point in time, and under the circumstances our species finds itself in today, I find it quite perverse that humans still claim a love affair with the automobile and the contemptible infernal combustion engine.

So the next time I see some yahoo drooling over the 'sexy' lines of a car, some paint job, or a set of mag wheels, maybe I should ask him what the heck he's been smoking?

Or perhaps it's a previous post you are referring to. Maybe my psychotic/psychopathic/sociopathic metaphor for our civilzation is a little radical or "far out", but that's the way it looks to me.

No David, I don't have any medical marijuana prescription, but I suppose it's possible that I'm a little stoned from all these exhaust fumes.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.