Friday, January 01, 2010

In the First Gloaming of the New Year...

~From Our Deck~
January 1st, 2010 ~ 5:01 p.m.
Click on photo to enlarge - © 2010 jim otterstrom

The Sons of the Pioneers---back in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s---sang of Tumbling Tumbleweeds, Cool Clear Water, and Blue Shadows on Timber Trails, invoking harmonic poetic imagery which defined with great clarity the open prairies and rugged mountains of the Southern California I grew up in.

In several songs they also sang about, "The Gloaming", a term you don't hear much anymore which describes the light of the sky during those brief moments between day and night.

Nowadays we would usually think of that time as dusk, or twilight, but whenever I see a sky like this I am definitely, 'In The Gloaming', and I can hear those sweet cowboy harmonies ringing through eternity.

~A Joyful New Year To All~

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

Happy New Year, Jim and Peggy!

Is that song you're referring to sung in a round? I remember singing -

Fire's burning, fire's burning
Draw nearer, draw nearer,
In the gloaming, in the gloaming,
Come sing and be merry.

Same one?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Madcap-

That 'round' you remember is called Campfire's Burning, but it's not the same song I was referring to.

In 1935 the Sons of the Pioneers sang...

"In the gloaming, oh my darling
When the light's gone dim and low

And the quiet shadows falling
Softly come, and softly go

When the winds are sobbing strangely, with a gentle unknown woe

Will you think of me, and love me, as you did once long ago

In the gloaming, oh my darling
Think not bitterly of me

Though I passed away in silence
Left you lonely, set you free

For my heart was crushed with longing
what had been could never be

It was best to leave you thus my dear
Best for you, and best for me"

Not one of their more cheery tunes, but rather appropriate introspection for the end of a day under darkening skies I suppose.

I like the message in your campfire round better, about huddling near the fire in song and merriment to fend off the approaching darkness.

Sweet!

I love the word gloaming though, it sounds so archaic today, and seems to be fading out of existence just like the light it describes.

Happy New Year Dear Madcap!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Happy New Year Jim and Peggy!

The Hermit and I had a nice drive today in the gloaming, enjoying the fading light and silhouettes of trees.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Happy New Year Deb!

Did you make any resolutions, like maybe playing more music?

Whenever your songs come up in our iTunes library it's a feel good thing for us...

I didn't make any resolutions this year because I'll be busy for the rest of my life trying to live up to last year's!
;~)

;~)

6:25 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

What a lovely view! Here's wishing you a happy and healthy 2010!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Gail & Mezamashii-

Thank you both and Happy New Year!

OTGE-

I checked out your guitar ensemble, just amazing!

Thanks so much for coming by...

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.