Thursday, October 25, 2007

SmokeRise...


7:30 A.M. Thursday
Click on photos to enlarge - © 2007 jim otterstrom

~A Smoky Morning Walk~
Peggy & Dallas, smiling through the smoke at 7:45 A.M.
We're all OK here!
Taking Flight In The Smoky Din
There wasn't enough light to really capture this Great Blue Heron taking flight but I like the image anyway.
The giant bird looks almost as awkward as the Sikorsky helicopter below. It's hard to believe either of them can actually fly.
I made the helicopter video below about 4:30 P.M. yesterday after riding my bicycle over to the airport and, by the time I got home, I was coughing and my chest was feeling a bit tight.
There was a lot of fine ash floating down, which doesn't seem as bad today.
Still very smoky though and you can imagine the noise around here with this steady stream of helicopters and fixed wing tankers.
Kind of like a war zone I imagine.
For friends and family that are concerned about what's going on here in Big Bear I'm posting some links to local news so you can stay updated.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

I'm thinking about you folks lots, wishing you and your neighbours well. That must be hell for anyone with lung conditions or allergies.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

Glad to see that you are still ok
Hope that smoke blows away soon!!!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

madcap-

Yeah, we're accustomed to breathing relatively clean air up here and Peggy & I are both experiencing some shortness of breat and tightening in the chest. I'm sure people with chronic breathing problems are having a difficult time with this.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

endment-

Thanks for checking in.

We sure would like to see the end of this smoke, but we're just counting our blessings thus far in being spared from the flames.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.