Tuesday, February 28, 2006

McNest...


Click on photo to enlarge
Last year's Western Bluebird (Sialia mexicana) nest from the nestbox I cleaned out in January.

Last night we finally got the first significantly measurable precipitation of the winter, but not as snow.

It rained heavily all night long, and, by my reckoning, we must've received 4 to 5 inches.

It's still raining today but trying to turn to snow as I write this.

The rainbarrels are finally full, the chickens are tucked away in the coop with fresh food & water, and the eggs collected (we now have 5 dozen in the fridge and I need to pass some around the neighborhood today).

Peggy and I split some more of the pine we have stacked up around here on Sunday and it's nice & dry under a tarp. The woodstove is stoked, keeping our own little McNest warm & cozy while, at the moment, Joan Baez is singing 'One Too Many Mornings' from the iPod.

Outside the windows, Nuthatches, Mountain Chickadees, Yellow-Rumped Warblers, Wilson's Warblers, Western Bluebirds, Stellar Jays, Red-Shafted Flickers, American Robins, House Finches and Gray Squirrels are among the critters dashing between raindrops in their quests for food.

And now, on this last day of February, as the sounds of the Kentucky String Ticklers drift from the iPod in the form of an ancient field recording of 'Leaving Here Blues', I'll be leaving here to go downstairs and browse the new seed catalog that came in the mail the other day.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

klausmber-

Welcome to EHG. I went to your blog where the first thing I saw was the image of a postman, doing the job I did for 30 years.

Your blog looks interesting makes me wish I could read German and learn more about your life.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

My middle chick is home today with conjunctivitis and was looking over my shoulder at the bluebird nest.

I think she just left to draw one. She was fascinated.

Rainy here too with more expected. I think it caught most of the state.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I was just thinking of how I missed the sound of the rain, and how I will welcome it as a part of spring.

I'm spending a lazy day at home here, my oldest chick home with some stomach flu bug.

1:44 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I love the easy going day, as you described it. I've been sitting by the stove reading the last few pages of Ishmael. It's drizzling here.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Gwyn Calvetti said...

Sounds like a perfectly lovely day, especially all the critters out the window!

6:46 PM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

what a lovely day you're describing, I am having my morning coffee with Tansy on my knee, porridge cooking for breakfast(with salt, not sugar, thankyou) and we are waiting for the roofers to arrive to remove the chimneys and destroy the peace!

12:25 AM  
Blogger squire said...

A nice rain is truly one of the great pleasures in life. We live in a motor home so any rain gives us that wonderful "pitty, patter" sounds.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Loner said...

the nest is just lovely - isn't it amazing that a little pair of birds can create that one stick at a time? We are working at being more sustainable ourselves, and I have really enjouyed reading your last two posts - lots of food for thought.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I am feeling, hearing and smelling spring. It IS coming, isn't it?

2:52 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Can't remember if I said earlier, our almonds and fruit trees are blooming and daffodils have appeared. Probably crocus as well.

Lovely

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

voicexml
voicexml
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.